Whoa, this was a LOOOOONG commitment, but every minute was enjoyable. This writer (who also wrote THE HELP) has sparkling analogies, interesting characters, and great empathy for them. While parts were difficult to read, such as the orphanage's director's cruelty, it was ultimately an uplifting and fun story.
My sister Ann listened to this and outlined the story for me, and she highly recommended it. So I thought it would be worth a try. It was good, but I didn't handle the listening very well. I wanted to listen more than do anything else. It kind of took over my life! Not a good thing. If I had more self-control, and could limit myself to listening on my walks or something, it would be better...
Parts of the story, like the crazy Mississippi laws governing imbeciles, etc., are historically accurate. However the story of women opening up a brothel was pretty far-fetched, and was the least compelling part of the story for me. However, I could see the limitations for these women and what might lead them to such a solution...Overall I was very grateful I did not live in the 30's, that I do not live in the Mississippi heat, that I was not an orphan, and that I had a great eduction and options!
I enjoyed the development of the main character, Birdie, who was quite the heroine for everyone in the story. The hapless "orphan," Meg, was also an engaging and admirable character. Birdie's sister Frances was an airhead who grew quite a bit over the course of the story. Observing people learn and grow is an appealing dimension in stories that interest me...
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm filtering comments...Thanks for your patience!