I loved The Power of One, despite its graphic depictions of brutality. When I realized this was its sequel, I wondered why I hadn't read it before! I promptly ordered it used from Amazon and was shocked to find it thicker than ANY book in our house! Just over 900 pages, it is spellbinding and brutal, and entirely engaging. I devoured it about a hundred pages at a time and enjoyed every minute of it.
Tandia is brutalized by the evil Geldenhuis, a violent and disturbed Boer police officer who remains a constant throughout the book. Peekay, the welter weight champion of the world, and hero of The Power of One, also figures centrally in this book, along with his best friend Hymie. These are wonderful characters, as are the more minor characters. They are mostly all introduced in the first book, but new ones also come on this scene. I don't think you could appreciate this story without reading the first book. The background isn't retold, and besides, it's so rich and deep, why not enjoy it?
Many of Peekay's dreams are realized in this story, and it was good to see him achieve his goal, study law, and fight the forces of evil in South Africa. His friendship with their friend Harriet is also enlightening. These idealists love each other and love their surroundings and describe the many beauties of nature lyrically.
I especially loved the descriptions of the Africans singing their songs whenever Peekay won a bout, or in times of stress. There is much to love about this country and these people! The brutality is hard to take, as are all of the injustices. The philosophical struggle between justice and natural justice was also enlightening. This author knows such a wide breadth of topics, history, art, etc., that it's a joy to read and amazing to think of his vast knowledge. I'm also ready to learn which of these figures in the story are actual historical figures and which are fictional.
It's just an amazing story, and despite the harshness and occasional bad language, worth every page. It also has a very spiritual dimension, with lots of goodness from the medicine man, the characters with integrity, and the commitment to work hard and to do one's best. I was again amazed at the technical side of boxing and what all it entails. Just amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm filtering comments...Thanks for your patience!