Wednesday, January 21, 2026

The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion: Vol. 1 by Beth Brower

 People who review books on Instagram keep mentioning this series, so I was intrigued. And it finally came through on my request at the library! Whohoo!! When I picked it up, the librarian asked me if it was my first time reading this series, and when I told her yes, she warned me that the first couple of books are a little slow and require patience, but that they get better as the series goes on. I believe there are seven books in the series, and I could buy the set on Amazon for $114.00, but don't plan on that at this juncture. 

However, I do have a problem because waiting so long between volumes is hard because I forget the characters and details...and won't have the former books to refer back to if I keep reading them as they become available at the library. What a problem, huh?!

BUT...this first book was so delightful, I'm tempted, sorely tempted to buy the series. Maybe I will. It's clean, it's very witty, and it has cute characters. I love the heroine and her attitude. Of course I love all things British...so this fits right in. And the time period, the late 1800s is a good one too...I may have to cave on this one. I would definitely go for it if it weren't such an obvious marketing ploy to have each book be so SHORT! The first volume was a little over a hundred pages and didn't even last me for two legs of my flights to Indiana! When I got there, Sierra told me she has listened to the series and really enjoyed it too. At the moment, I have a request in for Volume II at the Washington County Library so we'll see how long it takes for that to come in...

August 10, 2026

I'm on my second time through this series and just finished Volume 1 for the second time. It's every bit as good as the first time through, and this time I was able to pick up on some subtle clues that I now know are significant for understanding what comes next. I still haven't caved on buying the series, but may soon! I've been enjoying all the speculation and chatter that other lovers of this series are sharing on Instagram. I've also recommended this book to many others, and every one has been enthusiastic. I haven't met anyone who doesn't love this series. It's incredible. Clean. witty, wistful, uplifting, and very philosophic and introspective...all good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm filtering comments...Thanks for your patience!