Wednesday, September 23, 2026

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

 I vaguely recall when this book was published, in 1972, that Ann and/or Professor Angelo raved about it. I'm not sure why this sticks in my mind, but it does. And I don't think I read it then, but I have heard about it over the years, but never read it. Then our Ridgeview book club, specifically, Lori Bonzo, invited us to read it, so I did. We discussed it last night at Lori's house, and every single one of us had loved it. 

It's a quiet lovely book that unfolds slowly and methodically, with lyrical description of the English Dales. Even in harshest weather, Herriot appreciates his environment. But even more than that, he loves the people who inhabit it, and he is an astute observer of these colorful characters. We also learn a bit about the animals and their maladies and injuries that he serves, and he clearly loves them too. All in all, there is nothing but good to admire in these little vignettes and the conclusions about life that Herriot shares.

He also describes his boss, Siegfried, and Sigfried's brother, Tristan in great and often comical detail. It's fun to learn about their idiosyncrasies and to enjoy Herriot's point of view. Herriot does not take himself too seriously, either, and is the often the subject or "butt" of the jokes. 

When we discussed the book last night, many of us shared stories of the pets we have known and loved. We also read quotes from the book that showed Herriot's love of humanity. The grueling hard work of the small farmers that he serves really comes through. Why they would choose such back-breaking work makes him wonder. He also occasionally wonders what drives HIM to such a hard life of being disturbed int he middle of the night, of braving cold and icy barns, etc., but always goes back to those tender and rewarding moments of when he has been able to ease an animal's or a human's pain or see a beautiful view from the top of the Dales. Very affirming. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm filtering comments...Thanks for your patience!